Thursday, March 26, 2009

I was a bum today. I went over to school for morning assembly and then I helped Ngozi in the office. After that I went to the teacher's lounge to help grade more exams but all they had were Igbo exams and I can't grade those. So I went back to the house and killed twenty minutes helping Ifeoma cook lunch for the tank cleaners. (Workers cleaned the water tank so now all we need is a delivery of water or rain and we should have running water. I am soooooo excited.) After that I was out of things to do so I went back to my room and fell asleep. I took a two hour nap and I really needed it. I haven't been sleeping very well this week, mostly because of the heat. I woke up around 1:30 and I decided that I needed to do some actual work. So after grabbing some rice for lunch, I went back to school. I graded Agriculture exams until almost five and then I called it a day. This evening was just a typical Thursday: Fr. Nwodo came to say the weekly mass at our house but of course he was forty five minutes late, then we ate dinner, and we finished the night with this week's episode of Super Story.

The biggest adjustment to life in Nigeria for me has been getting used to the slower pace. The nuns are amused that I am constantly looking for something to do but I need to keep busy. If I wanted I could probably come back to the house and take two hour naps everyday but that would make me go crazy. The day goes by so much faster when I have things to do. Back home I could do any number of things with my free time but I am pretty limited here. So I keep looking for more work and I try to appreciate having so much free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment