Thursday, March 12, 2009

I am back amongst the living. Last week was the sickest I have ever been in my life and I am grateful that I am finally feeling better. It is nice not having to vomit after every meal and being able to get out of bed. I think I would have cried if I had to go to the doctor a third time.

Today I left the house for the first time since Friday, not counting the hospital. Instead of normal classes, today we had a celebration/send off for Sr. Theresa who until recently was the headmistress. Sr. Theresa was instrumental in getting our school started, back when the neighborhood was still bush and other people were reluctant to come to such a poor and dangerous area. The stories of Awkunanaw a decade ago are almost hard to believe because today it is rapidly developing. Time after time, I hear people talking about the good things the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur are doing in Awkunanaw and around Nigeria. It makes me proud that I am working with these women.

So today was a fun day. It started with mass and then there were speeches and performances by the students. The last act was a traditional dance done by a group of girls. As often happens at this type of function, the guest of honor joined in the dance. Then one of the parents decided that the Onye Oicha should dance too, so she grabbed by hand and dragged me to the front. I don't know how to do a proper Igbo dance so I just tried to imitate the kids. Everyone in the audience was amused and the more exaggerated my movements became the more they laughed. The other nuns joined in and it was actually fun.

After the ceremony finished, we all went back to the house. Sisters Theresa, Florence, and Maria live at the John Nwodo house so we caught up on their comings and goings. I broke into the Nutella that Helena bought me yesterday, while everyone else ate moi moi and rice. To finish out the night, we watched our weekly installment of Super Story. So it is 9pm and I am exhausted, but in a good way. I am just happy to be healthy and amongst friends. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment