Sunday, February 8, 2009

Some random thoughts

My favorite time of day here is the early morning as the sun is rising. Anyone who knows me will find that ironic since I am not usually a morning person. I like to sit outside and enjoy the cool breeze. Later the midday sun beats down relentlessly and the glare is unbearable but in the morning everything looks bright and cheerful.

I miss having a bathroom door. It sucks that we don't have running water, electricity during the day, or a toilet that flushes but I have come to terms with that. I just wish I could have a little privacy. We open up the nearby closet door and that helps provide some privacy even if it doesn't always stay open. When I get home I plan on locking myself in the bathroom and taking a nice long shower, just because I can.

On my way to church this morning I saw both a dog and a little white kitten. I also saw goats, sheep, chickens, turkeys, and ducks but that is an everyday thing. Today was the first time I have seen a dog or cat in Nigeria.

It is now ten o'clock in the morning and I have already put deodorant on twice today.

Yesterday we went out and played football (or soccer for you crazy Americans) with the nuns. It was a lot of fun even if they are no better at the sport than I am. One of the sisters stopped the ball and called out "I headed it with my legs."

At church all of the women wear these often elaborate head wraps. I don't know if I should too or if it doesn't matter. I assume that I am exempt from this custom since the sisters haven't said anything.

In Nigeria it takes a whole village to raise a child. In the US no one would criticize or discipline a stranger' child but here anyone has the right to discipline a child. Even children have the right to smack a younger child who is misbehaving. Today Sr. Martina yelled at a boy because his ill fitting pants were falling down. "Pull up your trousers, you naughty boy! Your poor mother will have to scrub them to get the dirt out. You are a naughty boy." Of course the boy promptly pulled up his pants before going on his way.

I have now survived two full weeks in Nigeria. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment