Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fruit is not food

I love all of the fresh fruit that is available in Nigeria. Nothing beats walking outside and picking mangoes or oranges right off the tree. It makes up for some of the more let's say exotic dishes.

Coconut (that is a fruit right?)
Guava
Lemons
Mango
Oranges (which Aubrie and I first mistook for lemons because they are yellow)
Paw Paw (Papaya)
Pineapple
Tomato (what's the final verdict, is it a fruit or vegetable?)
Watermelon

The pineapple is by far my favorite fruit here. It is so sweet and juicy. The best part is that a whole pineapple cost roughly one dollar. I am looking forward to going to the market on Saturday and buying a pineapple or two or three. Now that I think of it I might get some more oranges, too. I have a cold and it couldn't hurt to get some extra vitamin C.

I also find it funny that Nigerians do not consider fruit food. One night when I protested that I was too full to eat an orange one of the nuns informed me that fruit is not food. It aids in digestion but it is not food.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy - my favorite fruits to eat in West Africa are the mangoes. Less exotic food! Haha! Are you referring to goat, perhaps. Or Guinea fowl? Although I think Guinea fowl is pretty tasty.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    - Elizabeth H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like goat. I still haven't gotten used to things like fish heads in spaghetti. I haven't tried Guinea fowl yet but I would like to. Before I leave I am determined to try bush rat. A few days ago one of the bus drivers at school caught a bush rat and they showed it to me. It really was just a huge rat. But everyone says the meat is really tasty.

    ReplyDelete