Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Almost burning down the house

Unlike back home, Nigeria does not have curbside garbage pickup. So unless someone prefers garbage piles in the middle of the street, most people burn their garbage. Today Aubrie and I were talking outside when we heard what sounded like the pop of fireworks. After a little investigation we found that the bush outside our wall had caught fire, probably the result of burning garbage. Since it is the dry season it didn't take long for the fire to spread. So we stood watching as the flames burned completely uncontrolled. The fire sent a large bush rat scurrying out of the brush and a couple men attempted to catch it (the meat is supposed to be delicious and it is expensive) but the bush rat was much faster. At one point the flames nearly took out our electrical/telephone wires but God must have heard the sisters' prayers. Luckily the fire died out when it reached the cement ditch that separates the bush from the school yard. So that was our excitement for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment