Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Here is a quick list of a few things that I did today:

1. Began my first day of work at the Notre Dame School. I work in the library and the children read aloud to me.

2. Had rice, salad, and Paw Paw (papaya) for lunch

3. For once I didn't startle when a lizard scurried out of the bushes. There are lizards everywhere and I think they try to catch me by surprise.

4. Got the security code for the wireless internet connection. We don't have running water but we have wireless internet. Go figure.

5. Went to a major market in Enugu. The ride alone was terrifying because the road was being paved during rush hour traffic. I don't think I have ever prayed so hard in my life.

6. We stopped at a gas station and the sign read 65 naira a liter. However after the attendant filled up he informed us that the price was really 70 naira a liter. We had to do the math ourselves to figure out even with the price change he was still stiffing us 90 naira. Later on Aubrie pointed out the ironic fact that the gas station was called Conoil.

7. Bought a cell phone. (I will give out my number as soon as I figure that phone out.)

8. I saw a man driving a motorcycle with three children riding (one in front and two in back).

9. Ate more rice, salad, and Paw Paw for dinner. However Sister Martina asked if I wanted the chicken neck and Aubrie gleefully reminded me that I pledged to try new things. So since "African women eat everything" I followed suit and ate most of a chicken spine, bones and all.

10. Stopped caring that there are little red ants crawling on me in bed.

It was just another day in paradise. Love from Africa,

No comments:

Post a Comment